Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Pretzels (Better than the mall...I promise!!)

Tasty Thursday is here!! Time to talk about one of my favorite things...food!! If your like me you cannot pass a mall pretzel cart without ordering a $4.00 cinnamon sugary goodness. I mean c'mon they are dee-licious!! I decided to tackle the famous pretzel at home after coming across this copycat recipe at ClassyClutter. This recipe is oh-so-simple and I'm sure you have everything in your kitchen pantry.


You will need the following

For the dough:
1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 tsp of yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 cups flour


Magic pretzel dipping solution:
3 cups warm water
1/2 cups baking soda

Toppings:
Your choice!!
I prefer cinnamon and sugar!!

Ok so lets get started...

Get your oven going and preheat to 450 F. Add the yeast to the warm water and make sure it is completely dissolved. Next add the flour and sugar. I like to add a little at a time mixing in between. When dough is thoroughly mixed set aside and let it rise for about 30 min. Place a damp towel on top. I placed mine on the stove...the heat helps it to rise quickly.


Once the dough is ready cut the dough into long strips. Take the strip and roll from the center out, stretching the dough to look like a rope. For medium size pretzels stretch to 24in or so. Then make the famous pretzel twist or any shape you choose. Take your pretzel and dip it into the magic solution. Place pretzel on a greased cookie sheet. I used non-stick spray and it worked perfectly. Bake for 6 minutes... or 7 if you like them more golden. Don't laugh...after a while your "twist" gets better.



Once the pretzels are done brush melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over. I really drench mine. Calorie counting is out of the question people! You can really be creative with the pretzels using any toppings you choose. I am searching for the perfect jalapeno nacho cheese recipe...once I locate I will pass on to you for sure! Enjoy...Genelle



1 comment:

  1. omg i am soooo making those tonight!!!! remember when u made homeade cinnamon rolls!!! i still have that recipe:) buzzy is so lucky:)

    ReplyDelete