Friday, April 13, 2012

911...

It's Friday! Are you loving this rain or not? I'm loving it! Nothing like being home cuddled up in a blanket catching up on your shows on the dvr, while stuffing your face with some left over Easter candy, right?!

After the week I had, all I want to do is to be cuddled up on the couch with my 2 boys! It wasn't like the usual Wednesday for me; go to work, pick up Drake from grandma's, cook dinner, get Drake fed, bathed, and tucked into bed.  While daddy and I catch up on our day with the last 2 hours left of the evening before we hit the hay! Not this Wednesday...When I picked up Drake from grandma's house, she informed me that he woke up with a fever of 103 and managed to get it down to 100.

Just to fill you in...Drake has been fighting this cough, not fever, for like a week, so the fever came as a surprise! Yes, I had already taken him to the doc's and she had him on a cough and cold medicine.

After I picked up Drake, I took him home and monitored him. To my surprise Cory cooked dinner for us (cute, right?!), at this point Drake was acting very lethargic (not like him AT ALL!).  He didn't want to eat and he laid down on the couch while we ate...after dinner I sat next to him keeping him cool. Well, the next part was NOT-SO-FUN...Drake fell back to the floor and immediately went into a seizure...eyes rolled back, body slightly twitching and unresponsive! YES! I WAS FREAKING OUT!  This was the first time I saw my son in this state...Cory and I were helpless! I picked up the phone and called 9-1-1 (I had to actually think about what numbers I was dialing).  I was in full blown panic mode! Cory had to calm me down for Drake's sake. As a mom, your worse fear is seeing your child unresponsive and sick! Drake had a seizure (for what felt like an hour) for 2.5 minutes. The worst and longest minutes of my life! The 911 operator was so kind and helpful while showing us how to care for Drake. The paramedics finally arrived at our home 5 minutes after the call! When they showed up Drake was having a hard time breathing and they could clearly see it. They informed us that they needed to take him to the hospital before he has another possible seizure. Another ambulance ride, again?? Yes, I said again! Just a year ago Drake was fighting the H1N1 flu, pneumonia and a virus, he turned blue on Cory and I and had to be rushed to the hospital! So you can see my frustration and broken heart!

Once we arrived at the hospital, they checked his fever and it had peaked to 104! The doctor explained that Drake had a Febrile Seizure, which is common in toddlers that is brought on by a fever over 100. They also did a Chest X-Ray to make sure he didn't have pneumonia. The doctor did discover an ear infection in his left ear, and other then that Drake had a good report card...We were sent home with anitbitotics, Motrin and Tylenol for the fever.

Throughout all of this craziness I leaned to God for his grace and love. All I could do was Pray, Pray Pray. God gave me the strength to make the call, the peace to keep me calm and the love to keep me going. For all of you newer or soon-to-be mom's who are not aware of what Febrile Seizures are click the link to read about how common it is with toddlers. For any of you mother's out there who have a child with an illness or who may be sick...my heart goes out to you. YOU ARE AMAZING! Don't you forget that!

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid the Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become by salvation. Isaiah 12:2

2 comments:

  1. How scary! So glad he came out of it okay. How is he doing now? Good for you, staying strong & praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg!!! Little drakey poo has been through so much....i would have been so freaked out, thank u lord hes ok:)

    ReplyDelete