Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Easy Peasy Chair Re-do...or Two

So I was quite busy this weekend and FINALLY tackled a few projects that have been waiting on me for months now. A few weeks ago I shared with you my fabulous dining room table makeover. Well what I didn't share with you were the chairs...and there was a reason...they weren't done! I had finished painting and staining them but I had yet to re-do the gawd awful fabric on the seats. They were a gross dirty cream velvet that wreaked of stale cigarette and pet dander. Disgusting folks, and they had to go. Coincidentally my aunt had a dining set that was in need of a makeover. She just recently bought a beautiful home with beautiful dark wood floors, perfect for her dark wood table to sit on...do you get where I am going? She needed color peeps and bad! Her set was in great condition and it made no sense for her to dish out dinero for a new one. Hey, why not re-cover your chairs? And why don't I do the same? So there we were off to venture out and find the perfect fabric.

We stopped by Joanns and found a colorful fun sophisticated print perfect for her chairs and style of home. I found a fun, very colorful fabric at...Walmart! Did you know they carry upholstery weight fabric? I didn't! Best part was that the fabric was...uh hmm $6.95 a yard! I only needed 1.5 yards and proudly walked out of there ten bucks and change later. What a steal! I was so excited and so anxious to get started on the chairs.

We started on my aunts chairs first...you can see that the chairs weren't bad, just a little boring and very dark
We started by removing all the seats and hardware.
 We placed all the seats on the fabric and began measuring before we cut. We decided to keep the original fabric, it was rather thin and it actually provided more cushion. 
Then cut to size...
 Then we went to town on the stapling. This part was really fun.
Yes, those are my sausage looking fingers in the green sweater :)
And here is the finished product. I just love the colors in the fabric. 
Isn't she so pretty!
And...here are my chairs...BEFORE
Freshly painted...with the ugly seats
And the finished product...

 Here is the fabric shown as a roman shade...much clearer than mine

Sorry for the blurry pictures. I left my camera in Arizona. So my lousy camera on my phone will have to do. This project was so easy and cost practically nothing...look for fabric sales or coupons online. A few cuts and a few staples and my dining set looks like new. May attempt the roman shade next :) ....Genelle

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that is awesome..very impressed..way to go
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally repost this in honor of Clint Eastwood's speech at the RNC, lol!

    ReplyDelete