Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Get Your Home Spring Ready

Hello everyone. Every time this year I get this huge urge to clean my home and add a touch of spring color. With Spring comes the need for fresh and airy. Living in the PNW comes with tons of rain which makes it hard to keep sun-needed plants happy and alive. Therefore my only option is to bring spring indoors. Today I will share 10 fabulous ways I get my home Spring ready..without breaking the bank.

1) Closet de-clutter!! Open up those closets and toss out the old. This past weekend I am happy to report that both me and my husbands closets have been completely cleaned and organized. I cannot believe how many things we accumulate. I swear our drawers were overflowing with clothes, half of which we don't wear anymore. Thankfully my car is loaded with 4 bags of clothes ready for their trip to the Goodwill.



2) Change your Bedding You would be surprised what a difference this makes. We get chilly weather here so I tend to have heavier bedding in the fall and winter months. As spring approaches I like to change it up a bit, however, I am not about to buy new bedding and re-do my room just for spring. I take my white down comforter and pair it with white sheets for a fresh new look. How easy is that!!

3) Wash/Remove Drapery  I haven't hung any drapery yet but I used to have some in our old place. Come spring the curtains would be removed and sent away for dry cleaning. Depending on the type of drapery you may have, all or some may be removed for the spring season. For spring I would remove the panel and leave only the sheer.


4) Add Life There is nothing like fresh flowers in your home and spring offers a wonderful variety to choose from. A small vase on your kitchen table or in your bedroom will make all the difference. I usually keep my table set at all times. I took off all the extras and left a small vase of lilies for a simpler look.


5) Add Color  This simplest way to do so is with pillows, throw blankets, flowers, etc. To give my living room more life I added some extra throw pillows on my sofa. I love the happy colors in the picture below. What a difference!


6) Re-Arrange After a while the layout and design of our home looks boring. I like to move furniture and rearrange my accessories. Pull decor from other rooms and introduce a new home for them. Switching out the towels in your bathroom for bright spring colors can make all the difference. If items in your home are starting to look dark and dingy you can always spray paint for a fresh new look. Check out Nate's cool tips for rearranging!! Click here

7) Open your windows Nothing says spring like fresh air and sunshine. While I clean I love to open all my window and draw the shades to let the light in. Not only does my house look bright and cheery but the sun reveals all the dust and cobwebs that like to hide in dark corners (not that I have any in my home)...


8) Freshen the Air I don't know about you but I love for my home to smell good. Since I am crazy about Scentsy I always make sure to change my scent to something fresh and springy. Sunkissed Citrus or Havana Cabana really freshen my home making it smell wonderful! If you haven't heard about Scentsy, you can do so here  Scentsy

9) Organize cupboards I tend to keep my home very clean, however, my closets and cupboards are another story. Don't ask me why. Maybe it is because I know I can close the door and hide the mess? Any how I decided if I was going to organize the whole house it had to include the linen closets and kitchen cupboards as well. I found this fabulous idea over at The Painted Hive. I fell in love and headed to Ikea that day. I have to say it almost makes cooking fun when things are organized and especially when they are in cute jars like these!! They look oh-so-cute on my kitchen counters!


10) Spring Clean Yes you have to actually "clean" your home too!! Who wants to add fresh towels and a vase of flowers to a dusty home. Deep clean your home from top to bottom.

Besides daily cleaning I include:
windows
blinds
baseboards
vacuum your couches
Shampoo carpets
Dry clean/wash all area rugs
Sweep out fireplace
Wash all bedding/blankets
Clean stove
Clean behind Appliances
Paint and touch up walls

I am sure there are many more but I am getting tired just thinking about it. I am only halfway there but steadily moving forward. Hopefully by fall I will be done :)

Now go get a heads start (if you haven't already) Hmm maybe we will do a Spring Link-up Party soon. I'd love to see how you bring spring into your home!!...Genelle

2 comments:

  1. Since im in the middle of my spring cleaning.I enjoyed reading this.Thanks for the tips.:)

    ReplyDelete