Thursday, June 7, 2012

Overnight Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Happy Tasty Thursday everyone! Can you believe we are already in June? Where has the time gone? I have a feeling this year is going to fly by and sooner than later baby Loyd will be here...hooray!! So many of us always seem to be in a hurry. There just never seems to be enough hours in the day right? Well I was thrilled to find this recipe online...Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal.

I am all about cooking anything in the crockpot. Saves me time and money. But who'd of thunk about making breakfast in the crockpot?? Let me tell you all this recipe was so delicious and hearty...not to mention super easy. Even my husband can make it!!

For this recipe you can use steel cut or regular oatmeal...NOT quick oats. Remember this is an overnight recipe...you don't want mush in the morning. I doctored mine by adding fresh apples and cinnamon...Mr Quaker has nothing on me!

Ok lets get started...

1 crockpot
3 cups water
1 cup Steel cut Oatmeal (healthier version)
(If using Old Fashioned Oatmeal increase oatmeal to 2 cups...do NOT use Quick Oats!!)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter ( I used sweet cream)
1 tsp good vanilla extract ( You could also throw vanilla bean seeds in instead of the extract)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 apple diced and peeled ( I used golden delicious...Red Delicious seemed too sweet for my taste)
Non stick spray or crockpot liner

Heavily spray or line your cooker. (Note: older crockpots are not as hot therefore a liner is imperative if you are using a newer model)
Combine all the ingredients together and set on low for 8 hours. Serve and top with extra cinnamon and sugar.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product :( There are so many different options...maybe add raisins and nuts or dried fruit...possibilities are endless!! Enjoy...Genelle

No comments:

Post a Comment